Three lives in three countries: Spain, Senegal and Chile. Look back at my chronicles of crazy adventure, introspection, love and confusion. It's just the journey of a young Californian gal who's getting a taste of the world, but it's also so much more...

Monday, February 12, 2007

Paella and Stereotypes.





Let it be known that culture shock is real and very potent. I will not go into the gory details of how difficult it is to be understood or how frustrating it is to watch as joke after joke goes flying over your head while you just sit there smiling, but understand that life as an exchange student is not all fun and games.

That said, I have a lot to share. Yesterday was Madelin´s Birthday, and this was not necessarily the easiest Birthday she´s ever had considering that is she is an exchange student, like myself, and has only resided here in Spain for as long as I have. Since she has not had time to make friends, my local coordinator, her host mom, some neighbors, and I all held a celebration for her. The most notable aspect of her Birthday celebration was the paella (pah-eya) that one of her neighbors made. Imagine: a large frying pan full of fragrant rice, steaming seafood, legs of chicken, garlic, and onions sizzling over a flame that is tended by a Spanish chef who obviously knows what he is doing. Served with a carved lime and sprig of cilantro atop, it is the picture of deliciousness before me on the table. Yes folks, this is the dish of EspaƱa! Needless to say, I downed my entire plate in reccord time, but still managed to save enough room for a square of cake. Paella can be made in almost anyway (without chicken, with various spices, etcetera) but the rice is it´s base; it isn´t a Paella without the rice. Now, when you think of Spain, you can think of bullfighting and Paella!

Ok, here´s an interesting tidbit. I happened to glance over at the TV program that we were watching over dinner the other night when I noticed that the melodramatic series had introduced a new character: an American exchange student! I found this very interesting because, although you cannot trust these over-exagerated shows to actually reflect the beliefs or thoughts of every Spaniard, you can find indications of the American stereotypes that are pervasive in any culture. So, the goofy spanish guy is running around in a cowboy hat and with a toy gun, talking excitedly about how they are going to have an American there! "What fun! *bang, bang!*" The classic Spanish mom hits him upside the head lightly when the doorbell rings and everyone runs to the door. Upon seeing a young man of asian descent at the door, the goofy spaniard tells the "china man" to leave because the don´t want any flowers and slams the door. The mom chastises the goofy guy, saying that the young guy at the door is the American exchange student! (go figure; America is known for its diversity!) And the mom invites the young man in. The each character then begins to introduce themselves, but speaking painfully loudly and slowly. Even after the exchange student nods yes, that he does speak Spanish, the characters still treat him like he´s hard of hearing! (my god can I relate to that! one of my teachers speaks at a deathly pace everytime we talk one on one!) At the end of the bit, one of the guys asks the exchange student if he wants to go out clubbing. She exchange student vigorously nods yes! The spanish guy asks if he has money to pay. The exchange student whips out his wallet. The other guy takes his wallet and opens it. Everyone else gathers around to look at what must be a heck of a lot of dollars, because the Spanish guy then exclaims, "Drinks are on me tonight!" And everyone cheers.

My conclusion: We Americans are stereotyped as a very wealthy, diverse people who are generally associated with cowboys and (drawing on my own experience now) Hollywood. The other day I got the classic "Have you ever met a famous person" question. I laughed out loud when they asked me that. I´ve also gotten the "Do you surf" one and "Don´t you live on the beach?" The other thing that always draws a smile to my face is seeing two guys kissing each other´s cheeks and beeing all touchy-feely. :-) It´s so normal here, but it never fails to make me giggle a little bit in my soul.
To the left, an imitation bull-fighting ring at the mall! A few aquaintances holding on for dear life! Above on top: two aquaintances, my host sister Janire, myself, and a friend in a park. Above on bottom: Janire, me, and a friend. And below: Janire, and two other friends.

Ok, I´ll have you guys know that I´ve foregone taking a shower in order to write this. You had better appreciate it! jk. But really, aside from MJ, Emily Jo, and my mom, I really have no idea who reads this. Comment and let me know what you think. I´d love to hear your response. Love, Jocelyn.

8 comments:

  1. ooh the pictures are fun! I like your blue eyes in the second one on the top! :)

    haha. Pretty interesting about that TV show. Just goes to show that there are stereotypes everywhere! hehe.

    Well, my love, it was delightful to hear about your recent adventures/thoughts even though you skipped your shower.

    And now I am off to bed.... sweet dreams!

    Love ya!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved, loved this update. This special birthday meal sounded most egg-sa-lent!

    O.K. - I have to get this straight: Is your host sister the one in the middle with the large group? Who is the gal with the glasses to your left (to the right when looking at the picture?)

    I am glad for you that you speak as much Spanish as you do. I can imagine how lost the other exchange students must feel. Do you have opportunity to converse in English or are you trying to avoid that by immersing yourself in the Spanish language?

    Mmmmm, I was just thinking of your last post and riding the bus to school each day watching the sun rise. Sounds pleasant.

    My Mary Engelbreit quote for the day:

    "There is no one recipe for happiness, but love is always an ingredient."

    Know that you are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted you to know that when ever I use the word excellent (pronounced: "egg-sa-lant") I think of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jocelyn,

    Your mom just forwarded me your blogs. I look forward to reading them and to future ones.

    Take care!
    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan & I do...hope all is well...

    Steve & Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jocelyn,
    This is great! I am so excited to hear that you are having a wonderful time! I have heard so much about your trip to India, (from rachel, of course) and I am so jealous that you get to travel aeverywhere!
    I hope to see you when you get back!
    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oma says---

    I am soooo impressed with your first blog entries! And just a tad jealous that I wasn't where you are now when I was where I was back then! Every-
    thing sounds so interesting and in-
    viting. I'm looking forward to checking in with you on a regular basis. And this from a non-computer user! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to the "do you surf and lay around on the beach" thing. I even got that when I was travelling on the East Coast here in the States! I guess the world thinks that's what we Californians do all day, because we *must* live right on the beach, right?

    ReplyDelete