Three lives in three countries: Spain, Senegal and Chile. Look back at my chronicles of crazy adventure, introspection, love and confusion. It's just the journey of a young Californian gal who's getting a taste of the world, but it's also so much more...

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

10 Ways in Which Spanish Culture Differs from Ours (And my week)

10 Ways in Which Spanish Culture Differs from Ours:

1) Political campaigning is far more in your face here: their posters are not just the names and slogans of the candidates, but a big head-shot of them plastered across the walls over and over again. During election times, you walk down the street receiving creepy grins from the same ten men and women a million times over. Additionally, they inform you of upcoming rallies over loudspeakers mounted on the top of cars that inch along the roads and blast their message to you, accompanied by music, ten times a day.

2) Recycling is big here. If you don’t recycle, then you are an exception. Every street boasts a line of huge bins for glass, paper, and every type of plastic.

3) Water is a precious commodity here, since we are essentially living in the middle of a desert. Most people know that they need to use their water wisely, so we all turn off the shower while lathering our bodies or brushing our teeth. And not just for money reasons either, but also for environmental reasons.

4) Here they have language schools where you can go for a month or two every day and study a language. At the end of that time, they test and certify you in that language and this opens up job opportunities. These schools are private, but very common.

5) The people here drive so fast that it is unnerving. However, they are also some of the best drivers around because they have to go through a lot of work to get their licenses. But I still wouldn’t want to drive on the same roads as them!

6) Personal hygiene is not as emphasized here: showering is not necessarily a daily thing, and certainly not something you do more than once a day. They don’t always wash their hands before eating, and it appears that they don’t always do so before leaving the bathroom either. Of course, this is a generalization as I don’t follow every Spaniard into the bathroom to check up on their washing habits, but it is clear that they are not as germaphobic as we are.

7) Pharmacies, glasses shops, and a few other specialty shops use universal signs to mark their entrances. For example, for a pharmacy, you will always find it marked by a fluorescent green cross and a glasses shop will be easy to find because you only need to keep an eye out for a lit sign shaped like a pair of pink glasses sticking out of the building. Yes, this is very logical, but any American business would immediately think, “But I don’t want to have the same sign as every other pharmacy! I want to stand out as different.”

8) Graffiti is everywhere. The teens hardly consider it refutable and the city has crews who regularly circle the city to repaint the benches and walls. (This is rather unfortunate when you come to the tram stop only to find that all your benches have recently painted and you have no place to sit for the twenty-minute wait.)

9) School buses are huge in a tall way. They look more like our tourist buses than school buses. One friend asked me, “Are your school buses in America really yellow like they show them in the movies?!” They thought it was a pretty funny idea.

10) The standard size paper is taller, the envelopes are not as wide, their binders all have four holes instead of three, and they hardly ever write on lined paper opting instead for plain white paper or graff.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Well, things are certainly slowing down here. Well, in my life at any rate. The truth is that things are just getting started in Alicante with all the tourists flocking in from everywhere and shops opening up to receive them. But for me, last week was the last week of school. I took a few tests, which I’m sure I did pretty well on even though I didn’t study, and got results back for some of my tests. Guess what?! I GOT A 9 ON MY LAST PHILOSOPHY TEST!!! I was so surprised when I found out because I didn’t even study for the test, but I essentially got an A on it! Maybe I should just stop caring about my grades and scores more often if I come out with grades like these! Just kidding.

Anyways, I tried that drink horchata made out of the juice from the groundnut and it was really good! It is served cold and is very sweet. I cannot describe the taste, but it reminds a little of coconut and chai tea.

Well, what have I been doing this week aside from the minimal testing? I’ve gone to the beach a few times, and a friend commented that ya’ll aren’t gonna recognize me with this tan! I dunno, I’m still white as cream compared to most everyone here. I’ve also hung out with a few friends on different occasions down in Alicante, browsing shops, going to tea houses, eating kabobs and falafels, and talking.

On Sunday I went out climbing with Ignacio and his dad at a place called Crevillentes. T’was good. It was all displome, “overhanging,” which is my favorite. I only climbed four short routes , but the last one was a fun challenge with a funky crux up toward the end where I had to go up to an under-hanging pocket, clip, and use the side of a ledge to get up to the good holds above. I have to admit that I have not been climbing as much here, so I am definitely not up to my usual level. *sigh* Good thing dad is coming here for a few weeks to get me back in shape before I get back! Man, since I went to Paris, my hands got all soft and shed, so now my climbing time is determined by how long my hands can hold out before I turn in, blowing on my raw red digits. But I will get those calluses back!

Well, I have about two and a half weeks here until my exchange is officially over. During that time, I will go to the graduation ceremony and party, chill with friends, go to the beach, climb, paint, go to an ancient archeological museum exhibit, and hopefully go to a few shows. All in all, I have too much time on my hands. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to do some volunteer work, but who knows if that will pull through. Well, feel free to write me and ask all sorts of lengthy questions to keep me occupied for the long summer hours ahead!

Love,

Jocelyn

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jocelyn;
    Just got your blog sight from your mom today... can't wait to read and catch up on your exciting journey....
    right now on way out to Steven's grad ceremony...
    I'll check in soon.
    God Bless You
    Aunt Pati

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aunt Pati!

    Wow, thank you so much for checking up on my blog. Steven´s grad ceremony?!?! He´s graduating already? How great! I hope to hear from you soon!

    Love,

    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful post, I finally got to read it this am.
    You have a way with words that is both informative and entertaining.
    by the way you can get Horchata at most ampm gasmarkets here. christine had tried it in Mexico last year and introduced me to it... you describe it well, kinda nutty, cinnamon, watery milk is my take on it.

    Yeah Steven is a grad,, eek!!! he is at present out pounding the pavement looking for a summer job.
    He is registered for classes at Folsom Lake College in the Fall.

    You might want to join up with Christine & Steven this summer at Granite Arch, they both like to climb... around like monkies like when you were all little. hee hee

    We have a club house in our community with pools, work out center, pool table, etc. so you are most welcome to come over and hang out anytime...

    Christine has a part time job at an orthopedic surgeons office, she may be looking for another summer job on top of that one.

    Are you sitting down? Jeni just found out that she is pregnant!!! Yes they were using protection, that's the first ? she gets asked, and her answer, God must surely want this baby born! Her first was via infertility treatments.... and so... Rory will be 4 in August, Sam turned 2 in January, David will be 1 June 26 and the new one is due in Jan... yeah when you do the math whew!!! But I am so thrilled, I just love being a Grandma!

    well I've posted a 'book'...I put up a blog sight, but have not done much with it... maybe I will have more time now... it's at gr8ful2him.. it's on blogger too.

    I will read some more of your journey as I am able... right now getting things together for STeven's grad party tomorrow at Jeni's...

    Hope to see you this summer

    God Bless
    Love
    Aunt Pati

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Aunt Pati,

    Yes, I hope I´ll get a chance to see all of you this summer! Wow! It´s certainly wonderful that you are enjoying all of your grandchildren! Thank you so much for the update.

    Love,

    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete