Three lives in three countries: Spain, Senegal and Chile. Look back at my chronicles of crazy adventure, introspection, love and confusion. It's just the journey of a young Californian gal who's getting a taste of the world, but it's also so much more...

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Surreal Spanish Soccer

Spontaneously, as I sit calmly typing away at the computer, I hear loud yells, whoops, and shouts from the living room: "¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!!! ¡NO LO PUEDO CREER, NO LO PUEDO CREER!!!!!!!! ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! DIOS, ¡JODÉ! SI, SI, ¡BIEN!" And then clapping. A second later, I incredulously listen to similar whoops coming in through the opon window with the cool night air. Good god! The whole apartment building, all of them up and down the streets, are all practically in an uproar of excitement! Now, my host dad suddenly breaking into loud celebration over a goal in a national soccer game is not unusual (nor is loud swearing in the middle of dinner, which always causes my host sister to start, when a penalty is given to the other team or a goal made by the enemy). But hearing the echo of cheers from distant apartment buildings even a mile away is something I have never experienced before! I stood laughing, but not disbelieving because, after all, these are the Spanish and they do love their soccer! Well, apparently this is the game before the championships, so good luck to whatever team everybody is rooting for! lol!

2 comments:

  1. What does this mean in English?:

    "¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!!! ¡NO LO PUEDO CREER, NO LO PUEDO CREER!!!!!!!! ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! DIOS, ¡JODÉ! SI, SI, ¡BIEN!"

    I know what some of it means. Like Puedo means can, no means no, si means yes and bien means good. Did you know that my Spanish is better now?


    <3 Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Translated: Goal! I can´t believe it, I can´t believe it! yahoo! God, "exclamation of excitment and incredulity", yes, yes, good!

    more or less!

    We´ll have to chat in Spanish when I get back!

    Love,

    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete