Three lives in three countries: Spain, Senegal and Chile. Look back at my chronicles of crazy adventure, introspection, love and confusion. It's just the journey of a young Californian gal who's getting a taste of the world, but it's also so much more...

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chile: My Crumbling Destination

If you had asked me two weeks ago where I would be right at this instant, I probably would have told you that I’d be safely tucked into a bed somewhere slightly north of Santiago, Chile, tuckered out after a long but exciting day of orientation. I would be dreaming of Spanish and imagining my eminent meeting with my host family. I’d be living out of the backpacks at the end of my bunk and everything would be new and thrilling.

Ask me now where I am. I’m not in Chile, and I’m not in bed. If I were, it might be shacking with aftershocks, because only days before my scheduled flight to that South American destination, a terrific and terrible 8.8 earthquake struck Chile. My airplane never took off, and I stayed put in cheerful, comfortable Davis with the strange sensation of being in limbo. That hazy world of uncertainty ended with the rescheduling of my flight for March 10th –a little more than a week after my original departure date. Having spent that week appreciating the company of those I care for, preparing more thoroughly for my big trip, and collecting relief supplies to pack up and fly over, I’m now more ready than ever to be in a place where “hola” sounds more normal than “hello.” And let’s just say that I feel severely deprived of some good, down-to-earth classes and homework. (I know, it’s almost blasphemous that I speak of homework in such a longing tone. Don’t worry; that won’t last long!)

So, orientation will be short and sweet and I’ll be jumping straight into my host family’s lap upon my arrival. Hopefully a nice climbing trip will be quick to follow. :-D We’ll see…

No comments:

Post a Comment