Three lives in three countries: Spain, Senegal and Chile. Look back at my chronicles of crazy adventure, introspection, love and confusion. It's just the journey of a young Californian gal who's getting a taste of the world, but it's also so much more...

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

THE CHILE QUIZ! PLAY TO WIN!

Are you ready for a game?!?!

Today’s game is called, “The Chile Quiz!” No, its not academic, and yes, there is a prize, so roll up your sleeves and whip out a blank word document, because we’re about to get down and let the good times roll!

How this works: okay, so I’m providing you with a series of multiple choice questions concerning what I’ve experienced of Chile thus far. Your job is to answer them to the best of your ability BEFORE checking the key that I will place at the end. THIS IS AN HONOR SYSTEM! Your karma points will go way down if you tell us all that you got a perfect score, when in fact you feel that you deserved a C! So, answer them all, grade your quiz, and post your score in the comments section of this post –or send me your results via facebook or email. Whatever works. And now for the good part: WHOEVER GETS THE MOST CORRECT WILL RECEIVE ONE GENUINE, HIGHLY-SOUGHT-AFTER POSTCARD FROM YOURS TRULY!

Let me repeat that, I will send you a POSTCARD with a Chilean stamp and everything if you show me your mad, superior skills on this quiz. :-D I hope you’ve rolled up those sleeves already, because here we go!


* * *


THE CHILE QUIZ

1. What is a “pololo?”
a. A tasty Chilean rice dish.
b. A boyfriend.
c. The typical wart found on every Chilean host mother’s face.
d. A fruit.

2. What controversial dictator hangs heavy over Chile’s recent history? (okay, I know this is academic, but don’t you dare go consulting wiki!)
a. Pinochet
b. Mussolini
c. Salazar
d. Piñera

3. What is Jocelyn’s favorite type of Chilean food/drink thus far?
a. Her mother’s special pork and bean stew.
b. The abundant avocadoes.
c. Pisco sour: almost like a margarita –but better!
d. Fruit juices: freshly blenderized!
e. b and d.
f. a and b.

4. What is the name of the meal that Chileans eat in the evening?
a. La té.
b. La once.
c. La merienda.
d. La cena.

5. Which of these are you LEAST likely to find on a bus?
a. A clown.
b. The ice-cream man.
c. A fortuneteller.
d. A baby.

6. Which of the following does Jocelyn frequently pause to do during her walk home from school?
a. Buy an avocado from the corner store.
b. Do pull-ups at the park.
c. Climb up the alley wall.
d. Have tea with Sadio.

7. If Jocelyn lives on 12 Norte and her university is at the corner of Argentina and Brazil, how many blocks does she walk to school each day?
a. Only a few; it’s not far!
b. Too many! Aaaaack!
c. I don’t know what you’re talking about; the concept of “blocks” doesn’t exist in Chile.
d. Why would she walk when she could just take the bus?!


8. Which of the following items, bought in Chile, is priced incorrectly (in US$)?
a. Box cutter: 30 cents.
b. Postcard: 40 cents.
c. 10 Multimedia CDs: $10.
d. One pad of lined post-its: $5.

9. Most Chileans live with their parents until they…
a. …turn 18.
b. …go to the university.
c. …graduate from the university and get a job.
d. …get married.

10. What act will most definitely get an exchange student kicked out of their host family’s house?
a. Coming home drunk.
b. Not coming home at all.
c. Having a significant other sleep over.
d. a and c.
e. a and b.

11. What is the name of Chile’s primary indigenous population?
a. Mapuche.
b. Puelche.
c. Huaorani.
d. Apache.

12. What nickname does Jocelyn’s host family give her?
a. Jocey.
b. Hijita.
c. Gringuita.
d. a and b.
e. All of the above.

13. Which value is typically held in higher esteem by Chileans? (at least according to my Public Health professor)
a. Friendship.
b. Honesty.
c. Responsibility.
d. Cleanliness.

14. What was the magnitude of Chile's largest earthquake in recent history on the Richter scale?
a. 7.5
b. 7.8
c. 8.8
d. 9.5

15. Who makes my bed in the morning?
a. Me.
b. My host mom.
c. My nana.
d. Nobody.

BONUS QUESTION!!!
Name as many of my classes as you can, or at least their fields.





**********************







Key: 1-b, 2-a, 3-e, 4-b, 5-c, 6-b, 7-d, 8-c, 9-d, 10-d, 11-a, 12-e, 13-a, 14-c, 15-c.

Don’t forget to report back on your results! ;-)

5 comments:

  1. OK - I only got 6 correct:
    1, 3, 9, 10, 13, & 14.

    Was fun to go back and look at the correct answers!

    :) MJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay MJ! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, MJ &I tied - I only got 6 also - 1,2,9,11,12,& 14. And i guessed on some of those.
    What do your nicknames mean? And why don't you make your own bed?
    From your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Ellen is in the lead with 7 correct answers! yay Ellen!

    As for your questions Mom, Jocey is short for Jocelyn ( :-P ), hijita means little daughter, and gringuita means little white girl. lol!

    I don´t make my bed because we have a Nana who does most of the cleaning for us. For the first time in my life, I had someone chastize me for making my bed! "Don´t make your bed," she said. "I do that!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. you really do pullups in the park?!!?!??!
    i got 10:
    1,2,4,5,7,8, 11, 13... jajjajaj... yhou know he is crazy don't you?, 14 :(, 15
    i thought 9 was c. …graduate from the university and get a job.... but well i have to admit that is not always the case xD, at least thats my plan.
    ya lo se, yo no cuento por que soy de aquí! jajajjaj xD

    ReplyDelete